Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Thalipeeth- Maharashtrian Delight

 This is a Maharashtrian dish which is made by mixing 4 kind of flours. This dish is slightly spiced multi grain, which looks like paratha but is made in a different method. There are so many variations in making this thalipeeth. This is highly nutritious and very healthy and can be eaten by all.





I got introduced to this dish from my friend who helps me a lot in cooking these kind of dishes. I have introduced her to you in my older posts. She gave me the mix of thalipeeth and I made it the way she explained me to do. The result was an excellent and yummy breakfast for us. Did I say that I was making this for the first time. Once you try this and I’m sure you are gonna love this.


Ingredients:
  1. Bengal Gram Flour / Besan- ¼ cup
  2. Rice flour- ¼ cup
  3. Wheat flour- ¼ cup
  4. Millet flour / Jowar / Ragi- ¼ cup
  5. Coriander Powder- 1tsp
  6. Red chiily Powder- 1tsp
  7. Salt- As per taste
  8. Turmeric Powder- ½ tsp
  9. Onions (chopped)- 1no
  10. Green Chillies (chopped)- 2nos
  11. Coriander leaves (chopped)- ½ cup
  12. Curd- 1tbsp
  13. Water- for mixing
  14. Oil- for cooking

Method:
  1. Mix all the ingredients (except oil)  together with water to make a soft pliable dough.
  2. The dough will be sticky. Divide this into 5-6 equal small balls and keep it aside.
  3. Traditionally it is made with hands, by patting a small ball of dough with both hands in the form of parathas and cook it with oil on a pan.
  4. Easy method is to oil two plastic bags and place a small ball of dough in between the two bags and use the tip of your hands to pat the dough into a flat shape.
  5. I used the first method and it was too tiring as I made this for the first time.. :)
  6. Heat and grease a nonstick pan and gently turn the plastic sheet upside down and ease of the thalipeeth on to the pan.
  7. Cook on both side till golden brown and crisp, using little oil.
  8. Repeat the process till all the dough balls are finished.
  9. Serve it with a dollop of butter and curd / pickle.

    17 comments:

    1. Healthy and nutritious thalipeeth, looks awesome..

      ReplyDelete
    2. You have a wonderful space and enjoyed browsing through ur recipes. Glad to follow u :):)

      Chitchat

      ReplyDelete
    3. I love this one..looks perfectly delicious..
      :)

      ReplyDelete
    4. heathy withfour flours and it is tasty also perfect for breakfast

      ReplyDelete
    5. Dear Zareena
      How are you? I love thalipith , but have only used the ready mix powder available in the market. Now that you have given the composition, I am going to make it.
      Have a nice week

      ReplyDelete
    6. Yet to try this healthy roti. Looks awesome!

      http://treatntrick.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    7. nice collection of recipes..nice clicks and so tempting..

      ReplyDelete
    8. Looks delicious and healthy too...

      ReplyDelete
    9. I have come across this recipe few times on net, packed with nutrients. Have to try this sometime.

      ReplyDelete
    10. nice recipe..that looks delicious..

      ReplyDelete
    11. Great recipe zareena..sounds healthy and yummy!!

      ReplyDelete
    12. Looks like a total new recipe to me...and sounds like delicious savory breakfast!

      ReplyDelete
    13. yum ! have eaten this but yet to bring it to my hearth- nice

      ReplyDelete
    14. Wonderful and unique recipe. Looks yummy,healthy and tempting.

      ReplyDelete
    15. Nice recreation of a very popular classic ~ looks so good n appetyzing!
      US Masala

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...