As I grew up in Andhra Pradesh, I like all the dishes. Among all the curries which my mom makes, one of my most favorite is this egg curry, which is called as “pulusu”.
Pulusu in Telugu means sour curry. Tamarind is used to get the sourness for the gravy. To balance the sourness, we add jaggery/sugar. We can make this tamarind gravy adding different vegetables.
In this, the boiled eggs are cooked in onions and tamarind gravy, which is then tempered with mustard seeds and curry leaves. Different varieties of egg curries are made, but this version goes well with steaming hot rice as well as roti. This can be made easily on a lazy day without much hustle.
I shallow fried the boiled eggs, before adding in the gravy as I like the crisp outer cover. You can add the boiled eggs directly without frying. Try this out and let me know.
- Eggs- 4- 5 nos
- Onions (chopped)- 2 nos
- Green Chillies (slit)- 2 nos
- Red Chilli powder- 2 tbsp
- Coriander powder- 1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder- 1 tsp
- Cumin powder- 1 tsp
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds- 1 tsp
- Garlic Pods- 5- 6 nos
- Curry Leaves- few
- Salt- as required
- Tamarind- a lemon size ball
- Jaggery- 1 tbsp
- Soak the tamarind in a cup of warm water and extract the juice. Keep this aside.
- Boil the eggs till done and discard the shell. Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the hard boiled eggs for about 7- 10 minutes, stirring in between. When it is done, remove the fried eggs on a plate.
- In the same oil splutter mustard seeds along with garlic pods and curry leaves.
- Saute the chopped onions until translucent. Add the green chilies and all the spice powders along with salt, stir till the raw smell disappears.
- In this add tamarind juice and 2 cups of water, bring to a boil. Add jaggery to balance the tanginess of the tamarind. Let this simmer for 5 min. Drop the shallow fried eggs in the gravy and let this cook for about 10 min. When u get the required gravy consistency switch off the stove and serve with steaming hot rice and enjoy.