Its biryani time in our monthly challenge. Every month, we have a challenge of making a dish with a particular item or any dish from any of the blogger's page. This time it is to make biryani.
After coming to the US, the preparation of biryani has much increased when compared that of India, because here not, as usual, we will go out to eat. My daughter and my husband are huge biryani fans. If given a chance, they would prefer biryani every day. Mostly I make biryani using chicken. Very occasionally I will make mutton biryani. But to tell you the truth, after coming to the US I have become an expert in making biryani.
Awadhi cuisine is an indigenous part of the city of nawabs, Lucknow. The chefs of Awadh had invented a dum style of cooking or cooking over low heat, which will enhance the flavors and texture of the dish. These dishes are filled with nuts, herbs, spices and full of flavors.
In this biryani, the meat is cooked slowly in aromatic and exotic spices till soft and tender. Meanwhile, rice is cooked in water infused with whole spices and ghee. Layered together, sealed and cooked on slow flame.
In Awadhi biryani, the spices are used in whole. This biryani is full of flavors, texture and aromatic with all the whole spices and rose essence and can be served with any raita of your choice.
- Chicken- 500 gms
- Onions- 1 no
- Ginger and Garlic Paste- 2 tbsp
- Coriander Powder- 1 tsp
- Cumin Powder- 1 tsp
- Cinnamon, Cloves and Nutmeg Powder- 1 tsp
- Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder- 2tsp
- Yogurt- 1 Cup
- Salt- as required
- Lemon Juice- 1 tbsp
- Basmathi Rice- 3 Cups
- Rose Essence- few drops
- Water- 5 Cups
- Cloves- 3 nos
- Cardamom- 4 nos
- Cinnamon Stick- 1 “
- BayLeaf- 2 nos
- Star Anise- 2 nos
- Ghee- 1 tbsp
- Onions (sliced)- 3 nos
- Ghee + Oil- 2 tbsp
- Red Food Colour- a pinch
- Milk- 2 tbsp
- Roasted Cashews- ½ Cup
- Wash and drain the chicken well, before marinating.
- Put all the ingredients for marination, except chicken in the food processor and process to a smooth paste.
- Rub this paste over the well-drained chicken and let it marinate for overnight. Keep this in refrigerator covered.
- In a deep bottom pan, saute sliced onions along with ghee and oil. When they turn golden brown in color, remove ¼ of the browned onions and keep aside for layering at the last.
- In the remaining sauteed onions add the overnight marinated chicken, and let this cook well till almost all the water from the chicken gets drained and the chicken gets cooked.
- Meanwhile, soak the washed rice for about an hour and then drain.
- Heat a deep bottomed pan, pour 5 cups of water, add all the spices for rice and at last ghee.
- When the water is about to boil, add the drained rice and a few drops of rose essence.
- Lower the flame and cover with a lid, let this cook for about 20 minutes. Switch off the flame. By this time all the water for the rice gets drained off and rice will be cooked to perfect. Fluff the rice using a fork.
- In a deep bottomed vessel, spread ghee, over that spread the prepared chicken with masala. Spread the half of the cooked rice, sprinkle browned onions, roasted cashews, and colored milk.
- Repeat the process, till u end up with rice layer on top. Finish off with browned onions, roasted cashews, and colored milk.
- Cover this with a clean wet towel and place a heavy object on top of the lid and cook for about 15- 20 minutes on a very low flame.
- When done, uncover and enjoy hot along with raita.