Today’s post is everyone's favorite. Those who love chocolate will at least try to make this without thinking about the calories. This Ferrero rocher cake can be made once in awhile.
This cake is made using hazelnuts, which is powdered and added to the cake batter. I have given a chocolate mousse filling, as it is my all time favorite which I always prepare as pudding to serve to guests.
Me, my husband, my daughter and now my little one love Ferrero rocher chocolates. The whole box will be finished within minutes as soon as it is brought home. So for our wedding anniversary, I thought of making a special cake, and this is what came to my mind. Though Ferrero rocher chocolates are not added in this cake, it is completely packed with hazelnuts and chocolate flavor.
Equal proportions of hazelnut flour and all purpose flour is added in this cake. If you cannot find hazelnut flour, just powder the whole hazelnuts in a food processor, which I did.
The creamy and silky chocolate mousse filling is used in between the cake layers. The addition of chopped hazelnuts in between the layers gave this cake the essence of Ferrero rocher. I made chocolate butterflies using melted chocolate with the help of youtube videos. Just try this fascinating cake on valentine's day and let me know...
Adapted from livforcake:
- All Purpose Flour- ¾ Cups
- Hazelnut Flour- ¾ Cup
- Granulated Sugar- 1 ½ Cups
- Cocoa powder- ¾ Cup
- Baking Soda- 1 ½ tsp
- Baking Powder- ½ tsp
- Vegetable Oil-¼ Cup
- Buttermilk- ¾ Cup
- Hot Water- ¾ Cup
- Eggs- 2 nos
- Vanilla essence- 1 tsp
For Chocolate Mousse:
- Chocolate mousse I have posted on my blog before, Just click on the chocolate mousse and you will get the recipe. Keep it refrigerated till we assemble the cake.
- Chocolate- 1 ¼ Cups
- Heavy Cream- 1 Cup
- Powdered hazelnuts- 1 Cup
- Chocolate Butterflies- 3 nos
- Ferrero Rocher- 3 nos
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees C.Grease the baking pan with butter and flour and keep it aside.
- In a stand mixer, drop the all-purpose flour, cocoa powder, hazelnut powder, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Mix until all the dry ingredients are well incorporated.
- In a glass bowl beat the eggs until creamy and fluffy. Add the buttermilk and vegetable oil. Blend well. Pour hot water slowly into this mixture and whisk slowly.
- Add the above wet ingredients to the ingredients in the stand mixture and blend well.
- Pour this evenly into the greased pan and bake for about 35- 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Let this cool on a wire rack.
Method for Chocolate Ganache:
- Place the chocolate in a glass bowl.
- Heat the cream in a saucepan over a medium heat. When it is about to boil, switch off the flame and pour this hot cream on top of the chocolate in the glass bowl.
- Whisk until smooth. Allow the ganache to cool.
For assembling the cake:
- Cut the cooled cake in half using a serrated knife.
- Place the bottom cake on a cake stand, sprinkle the chopped hazelnuts and then take out the chocolate mousse from the refrigerator and blend it well to form soft. Spread this evenly on the cake.
- Place the other half of the cake on top and crumb coat using the remaining mousse.
- Pour the cooled chocolate ganache on top and spread so that the cake is fully covered with the ganache.
- Decorate the sides using powdered hazelnuts, top with Ferrero rocher and chocolate butterflies.