Rice Kheer is a traditional Indian dessert loved by all. Recently we had a small get together in my house, with a bunch of friends visiting after a long time. And my friend brought some kheer for me, which is one of my favorite dishes since childhood. My dad used to make this rice kheer, whenever he bought milkmaid. Yeah, you heard it right, my dad used to make desserts, so that my mom could take a breather after preparing the main course, or else on some Sundays it would be my dad’s cooking with many varieties, including desserts. We (mom, my brothers and me) used to relish on all the dishes he made. It used to taste completely different from my mom’s cooking.
This rice kheer is simple and easy to make but requires much patience, for the milk to thicken. This can be prepared for any festive occasions or any celebrations.
- Basmati Rice- ½ Cup
- Whole milk- 1 litre
- Saffron Strands- a pinch
- Sugar- 6 tbsp or as required
- Cardamom Powder- 1 tsp
- Chopped Almonds, Cashews and Pistachios- ½ Cup
- Boil the milk in a heavy bottom vessel on a high flame. Meanwhile, wash and soak the rice for about 30 minutes.
- Add the drained rice in the boiled milk, along with few saffron strands and required amount of sugar.
- On a low flame, let the rice cook in the milk by stirring occasionally. Just mash rice with your fingers to see whether it is cooked or not. Meanwhile, the milk also gets reduced.
- Add the chopped nuts in the above rice- milk mixture and stir for about 30- 35 minutes.
- Switch off and enjoy warm or keep this refrigerated till served.