Ramadan is the month of fasting, which teaches about patience, spirituality, humility and submissiveness to God. This is the auspicious month for the revelations of God to mankind. During the month of Ramadan, Muslims will fast from dawn to dusk. At sunset, the family members will gather to break the fast which is called as Iftar. This is the month of giving and sharing. There will be Iftar parties in which we will be inviting friends and receive invitations to share the food.
I am getting to make different varieties of food during Iftar. As my in-laws are with us these days, we are really enjoying our fasting. One such type of dish which I made is these vegetable cutlets. We can make this with chicken / mutton also. These cutlets are very healthy and nutritious as most of the veggies are used. My mom makes this usually, so I thought of making this, as this will be like a starter before a big meal.
- Potatoes- 2nos
- Carrots- 2nos (chopped)
- Beans- 3-4 nos (chopped)
- Cabbage- 1cup (chopped)
- Ginger and Garlic paste- 1tbsp
- Onions- 2nos (chopped)
- Green chillies- 2nos (chopped)
- Red chilli powder- 2tsp
- Coriander powder- 1tsp
- Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
- Cumin powder- ½ tsp
- Garam Masala powder- 1tsp
- Coriander leaves- ¼ cup (chopped)
- Oil- 1tbsp and for shallow frying
- Bread crumbs- as required
- Egg- 1no
- Boil and mash the potatoes and keep it side.
- Chop all the vegetables in a food processor separately and keep them aside.
- Heat oil in wok, add onions and green chillies. When they turn light brown in colour add the ginger and garlic paste and and stir well.
- In this add the remaining vegetables (except potatoes) and salt and keep stirring well.
- When the raw smell of the vegetables disappear add all the powders one by one and mix well till everything is well blended.
- At last add the mashed potatoes and mix well till all the water is absorbed.
- Keep aside to cool. Meanwhile heat sufficient oil in a nonstick pan for shallow frying.
- Beat an egg in a bowl and take bread crumbs in another bowl.
- When it is cooled make small round ball shape and spread it on your wet palm and shape into flat round patties of about ½ inch thick.
- Dip these cutlets in the egg mixture and then in the breadcrumbs and shallow fry till golden colour on both sides.
- Repeat this till all the cutlets are done and serve hot with sauce.
- Make sure that the potato and vegetable mixture is dry, if not you can add breadcrumbs.
Sending this to Lubna’s Joy from fasting to feasting, Mona’s Hyderabadi Ramadan food festival 2011 and Jabeen’s Iftar nights