Puli inji is also called as inji puli, inji curry. This dish plays an essential role in Onam sadhya. This is a sour and sweet ginger pickle mixed with jaggery and tamarind. My mom used to make this frequently but I was not very fond of this pickle, but gradually as the time passed I fell in love with this amazing delicacy of Kerala. And so when I thought of making Onam sadhya this time, the first dish that came to my mind was this inji puli.Just hot steaming rice and puli inji is a fabulous combination. This can be stored in refrigerator for weeks.
- Ginger- 250gms
- Green Chillies (chopped)- 4 nos
- Oil- ¼ cup
- Mustard Seeds- 2 tsp
- Fenugreek Seeds- 1 tsp
- Asafoetida Powder- ½ tsp
- Red Chilli Powder- 1tsp
- Jaggery- 3 tbsp
- Tamarind- ½ cup
- Salt- as required
- Soak the tamarind in ½ cup water and take out the pulp.
- Fry the grated ginger and chopped green chillies in hot oil till brown in colour. Grind this to a paste when it is cooled.
- In a pan add 1 tbsp of oil and add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves.
- Add the ground ginger, asafoetida, red chilli powder, jaggery, salt and tamarind pulp. Mix everything well and simmer for about 10- 12 minutes till the oil separates. Remove from fire and serve it cool.