Once I had a different style of chicken biryani at my friend’s place when we went for lunch. This was made within minutes in pressure cooker. We loved this a lot that I noted down the recipe and after 2 - 3 days I tried making this chicken biryani with vegetables as I didn’t have chicken at the time.
For the coconut milk, I have used coconut milk powder instead of grinding and taking out the coconut milk.For the colour of the biryani, I added red chilli powder and turmeric powder. This is a basic biryani, but just thought of sharing this recipe with all of you.
- Rice( Basmati)- 2 Cups
- Vegetables (Carrots, Potatoes, Beans)- 2 Cups (cubed and diced)
- Onions (sliced)- 2 nos
- Tomatoes (chopped)- 1 no
- Green Chillies (slited)- 2 nos
- Ginger and Garlic Paste- 1 tbsp
- Red Chilli Powder- 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder- ½ tsp
- Garam Masala Powder- ½ tsp
- Salt- as required
- Coconut Milk (thick)- 2 Cups
- Water- 2 Cups
- Clarified Butter- 1 tbsp
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Cloves- 4 nos
- Cinnamon- a small stick
- Cardamom- 3 nos
- Bay Leaf- 1 no
- Wash and drain the rice for about ½ an hour.
- Heat ghee and oil in a pressure cooker, add the whole spices ( cloves, cardamom, bay leaf and cinnamon). In this add the sliced onions and fry till translucent.
- Add the chopped tomato to the fried onions, stir well. Add the ginger and garlic paste and stir till the raw smell disappears.
- Add the vegetables, give it a stir for about 2 min. Add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder and garam masala powder. Stir till fried.
- Add the coconut milk and water and let it boil.In this add the washed and drained rice and salt. Mix well.
- When it starts boiling close the cooker without putting the whistle and keep the flame in lowest flame possible and cook for about 15- 20 min.
- Switch off the flame, let it cool. Open cooker and mix the biryani carefully. Serve this along with raita.