My daughter is a big poori and paratha fan, who always want either one of these in her lunch box. I used to search different varieties of parathas and one day when I visited a friend, she gave us aloo/ potato kachori, which was flaky, crispy and tasty. We all ended up eating more than two kachoris, which was impossible. Remembering that, as I didn’t have potatoes at home, I tried kachori using peas filling which were so yummy and delicious. These peas kachoris have become a hit among our guests. They are so easy to make and so delicious that everyone will like these.
Peas/ mater kachori is a crisp, flaky texture with flavorful peas filling. Adding amchur/ dry mango powder gives a nice tanginess which can be replaced with lemon juice. This can be had as a snack or as a breakfast.
In this, the green peas filling is made along with the spices and stuffed in maida which is rolled to a flatbread and deep fried.
- All Purpose Flour- 1 Cup
- Whole Wheat Flour- ¼ Cup
- Salt- as required
- Ghee- 1 tbsp
- Water- required to knead
For the filling:
- Green Peas- 1 Cup
- Green chili - ginger Paste- 2 tbsp
- Red Chilli powder- 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
- Dry mango powder- 1 tsp
- Chaat masala powder- 1 tsp
- Salt- as required
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tbsp
- Fennel powder- 1 tsp
- Gram flour/ Besan- 2 tbsp
- Oil- for deep frying
- Take the flours, ghee, salt and required the amount of water in a mixing bowl and knead to a smooth dough. Keep this aside covered with a damp cloth.
- For the filling:
- Boil the green peas till done, drain, mash them coarsely and keep this aside.
- Heat oil, splutter cumin seeds. Add the ginger- green chili paste and stir well.
- Add the red chili powder, turmeric powder, dry mango powder, chaat masala powder, fennel powder, and salt. Stir.
- Add the gram flour along with the boiled and mashed peas and saute for 5 minutes. Switch off the flame.
For the Kachoris:
- Make an equal number of balls from the dough. Roll and spread the dough ball using a rolling pin.
- Add 2 tbsp of the stuffing in the middle and bring the edges to the center and pinch them. Roll and shape them into circular discs and repeat with the remaining.
- Heat the oil in a big pan for frying. Drop the kachoris and fry till they become golden brown and crisp.
- Serve them along with tamarind chutney or green chutney or along with your favorite pickle.