Thursday, August 3, 2017

Homemade Clarified Butter/ Homemade Ghee


I have been absent from my little space for a couple of days, as I have been on a small vacation to Disneyland with my family. My 9-year-old daughter is a big fan of Disney princess and so before the school started we thought of visiting the place and I realized that more than my daughter I enjoyed the most. My childhood dream of seeing all the princess and visiting the famous castle all came true. I was super excited. Whole two days we thoroughly enjoyed the rides, meeting princesses and Disney characters, watching shows, fireworks and the musical fountain.



Back to today’s post. Many of my friends asked me to post this and so here I am with a recipe which will be very helpful to almost everyone who can have pure and aromatic clarified butter/ ghee at home.
As a kid, I saw my mom making ghee from scratch. It’s a long process of taking cream from boiled and cooled milk which is stored in a stainless steel container in the refrigerator till the container fills to the brim. She whips the cream well till it forms butter and melts the butter in a deep bottomed vessel to ghee. On the day of making ghee, the house will be filled with the nice aroma of clarified butter, which would stay the whole day.



This process looks tedious to me and as we buy skimmed milk, I cannot take the cream out of it. So I started buying ghee from stores, and when my parents visited me or when I go home, she gives me a big jar of homemade ghee. When we came to the US, I didn’t like the taste or the aroma of the store bought ghee, so decided to make this at home using unsalted butter, which I buy in a bulk for baking.
This process is so fast and we can make homemade ghee within no time. But nothing like moms. It is much better to make it at home, rather than spending so much for a small bottle. Try this out and let me know.
Ingredients:
  • Unsalted Butter- 8 sticks/ 4 Cups
Method:

  1. In a deep bottomed sauce pan heat the unsalted butter on a low- medium flame. It will start to melt and makes spluttering noise.
  2. A thin layer of foam will form on top. After about 10- 15 minutes on a low flame, switch off and keep this aside till slightly cooled.
  3. Strain this through a fine mesh sieve into clean bottles. It would be a nice golden yellow color.



2 comments:

  1. wow home made clarified butter!, Disney land has always been my dream vacation , still is even if I pushing towards 40, Hahaha. bet it made your little girls's day:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything made at home is the best way to have it than the store bought ones. Earlier ghee had been discredited as bad for health, today it has risen back to all its glory. I love using ghee in cooking - the taste and the aroma are a world apart.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...