The other day when I was searching for something in my kitchen, I got a packet of soya chunks which I bought long back and was abandoned in one of the containers.
My mom used to make so many different varieties of dishes with soya chunks but my Husband never liked this (he is more picky than my daughter :-)). So once when I saw this in super market I just picked this pack and there it was lying down in my kitchen as if no body wanted it.
So I thought of making a curry which will taste exactly like chicken when soya chunks are added, but I was not sure whether he will eat it or not after seeing the soya chunks in the curry. Then I got an idea of making soya cutlets, so that he wont come to know that I have added soya chunks as soya is minced and added in this. I had some left over cooked bread fruit in my refrigerator with which I made breadfruit thoran the previous day. Instead of potatoes I thought of using this bread fruit for binding the cutlets. These came out very well and my Husband didn’t even realize that he was eating soya chunks. He thought that these are bread fruit cutlets and he enjoyed it till the last bite. He was really surprised when I told him the ingredients later. I believe he has now started liking soya :-)
Soya is very nutritious, healthy and rich in proteins, my kid didn’t have any problem in finishing this as she like any type of cutlets and samosas.
- Soya Chunks- 250gms
- Bread fruit (Diced, boiled and mashed)- 1cup
- Onions (chopped)- 1no
- Green chillies- 3-4 nos
- Ginger and garlic paste- 1tbsp
- Red chilli powder- 1tsp
- Coriander powder- 2tsp
- Turmeric powder- ½ tsp
- Pepper powder- 1tsp
- Garam masala powder- 1tsp
- Coriander leaves (chopped)- ½ cup
- Salt- as required
- Oil- 1tbsp
- Bread crumbs- 1cup
- Egg- 1no
- Soak soya chunks in boiled water for 5 minutes and remove and immerse them in cold water. After sometime squeeze out excess water from soya chunks. Mince and keep it aside.
- In a pan heat oil, add onions, green chillies and ginger and garlic paste. Stir fry them well.
- Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and salt. Mix well.
- At last add pepper powder, coriander leaves and mix well. In this add the minced soya chunks and mix well till everything is well blended.
- Add the boiled and mashed bread fruit to the above and keep it aside to cool.
- Make them into small balls and flatten them in the shape of cutlets.
- Dip this in beaten egg, roll in bread crumbs and shallow fry them in oil till golden brown in colour.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce.