Prawns Sukka is a popular coastal seafood delicacy from Mangalore. I made Chicken sukka before, which is more similar to this dish. But this prawn sukka is a very simple and a less time-consuming dish.
I usually try to prepare a different variety of dishes using prawns and so one day I tried this, which is a very delicious and I am sure that those who love prawns will sure like this.
Sukka means a dry preparation, which will be a perfect side dish for rice. In this, the prawns are well incorporated with the spices and the dryness is achieved by adding the grated coconut. The tanginess of the lemon juice will enhance the flavors of the dish.
- Prawns- 500 gms
- Onions( chopped)- 3nos
- Tomatoes(chopped)- 2 nos
- Ginger and Garlic Paste- 1 tbsp
- Red Chilli Powder- 2 tbsp
- Coriander Powder- 1 tsp
- Turmeric Powder- 1 tsp
- Garam Masala- ½ tbsp
- Lemon Juice- 2 tbsp
- Grated Coconut- ¼ Cups
- Salt- as required
- Curry Leaves- few
- Mustard Seeds- 1 tsp
- Oil- 2 tbsp
- Heat oil in a wok, splutter mustard seeds, add chopped onions. When they turn translucent add ginger and garlic paste.
- Stir well, add the chopped tomatoes. When they turn mushy add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder.
- Mix till all blends together. Add the washed and drained prawns. Add salt and stir well. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the grated coconut and garam masala powder, mix and adjust the salt add curry leaves and at last sprinkle some lemon juice. Switch off the flame. Serve along with steaming hot rice.