Mutton do pyaza is genuinely an appetizing dish with the addition of extra onions. In this dish, the onions are added twice in two different ways of cooking.
This is a simple dish, in which the onions along with the mutton are cooked till they get melted well along with the spices and the flavors are blended together. Mutton do pyaza can be devoured along with parathas, roti or pulao. As the onions are added in two different stages, this dish is named as “mutton do pyaza”. “Do pyaza” means adding onions twice.
I remember as a kid my mom used to cut out the recipes from magazines, which she used to read during free time. One day she tried a recipe from one of the cut out which was this “mutton do pyaza” and it turned out delectable. From then on this has become so popular in our house that for any occasion this would be the dish that was always there in the menu. Now I try the same process and this is a never fail, the simple dish which can be prepared without any marination or long cooking process.
I made this mutton do pyaza dry if you want you can add enough amount of water and enjoy however you want. Instead of making this gravy in a kadhai, we can also make this in a pressure cooker to reduce the cooking time. There are many different varieties of mutton dishes in my space which you can try out. Hope you all may like this one too....
- Mutton- 1kg
- Onions- 4 nos
- Green Chilis( slit)- 4 nos
- Ginger and Garlic Paste- 1 tbsp
- Red Chillies- 6 nos
- Salt- as required
- Coriander Powder- 1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder- 1/2 tsp
- Red Chili Powder- 1 tbsp
- Cumin Powder- 1/2 tbsp
- Fenugreek Powder- 1tsp
- Cloves- 3 nos
- Cinnamon- 1" stick
- Cardamom- 3
- Oil- 2tbsp
- Soak the red chilies in warm water. Slice 2 onions and heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan, fry the sliced onions by adding little salt till they turn golden brown. Keep this aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a kadhai, add cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, and garlic paste, meanwhile, chop the remaining onions and add to the above ginger and garlic paste.
- Along with this chopped onions add the slitted green chilies. In this add the mutton along with salt. Saute well.
- Add the coriander powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder and fenugreek powder.
- Grind the soaked red chilies to a fine paste and add this to the above gravy. Add a little water and cook with the lid on a low flame, till the mutton gets cooked till they fall off the bone. After sometime saute well on medium high flame till all the moisture leaves. When the gravy becomes dry add the golden browned onions, stir and serve hot along with roti or pulao.