In my childhood, we didnt get to eat this fish a lot, because in some places where we stayed this fish was not available. So my uncle who was having fish export business used to send us pearl spot and tiger prawns in bulk. My mom used to make varities of recipes with this. From then on we will be having a feast, until everything is finished.
It was a rainy sunday when I thought of making this dish, but to my dismay, I did not have "banana leaf" to bake the fish. And I owe this dish to my H who got me banana leaf from a far off market amidst the drizzling. This dish goes well with any kind of Pulav/Fried rice or even as a side dish to a regular meal. So, lets get to the recipe now. We enjoyed this dish along with the colorful carrot pulav.
- Karimeen (pearl spot fish)- 2nos
- Onions- 2nos
- Red chilli flakes-1tbsp
- Ginger (chopped)- 2tbsp
- Garlic(chopped)- 2tbsp
- Turmeric powder-1tsp
- Kudampuli(Kokum)/ Tamarind- 1no
- Pepper powder-1tsp
- Salt- as per taste
- Mustard seeds- 2tsp
- Coconut Oil- 3tbsp
- Banana leaves- 3nos. Cut into pieces large enough to wrap a whole fish
- Wash and clean fish, then deep slits should be made on either side of the fish to ensure that the masala enters inside the fish while cooking.
- Soak kudampuli in warm water for some time and extract the juice.
- Heat 2tbsp of oil in a frying pan.
- Add mustard seeds, when they splutter add onions and saute till they are transparent.
- Now add chopped ginger and chopped garlic, mix well.
- In this add red chilli flakes, turmeric powder, pepper powder and salt.
- At last add the juice of kudampuli and mix well.
- Remove from flame and keep aside till it attains room temparature.
- Apply this evenly on the slitted fish.
- Run the banana leaves over the flame to make them pliable.
- Apply a little oil on banana leaves with muslin cloth.
- Wrap each fish individually in the banana leaves and tie with a thread, so that the masala doesn't come out.
- Roast on a shallow pan or griddle for 2 to 5 minutes flipping over at equal intervals.
- Alternatively you can steam the wrapped fish in a steamer for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish and enjoy.