Monday, October 24, 2011

Jalebi - A Sweet post for Diwali and my 100th post in this blog !!!


I am glad that I have reached a milestone with this 100th post. I thought this is the perfect post for celebrations and a perfect sweet post to celebrate Diwali. 


All though I am still considered as a “newbie” in blogging, I have come so far in my blogging world.  With this blogging I have found very supportive blogging friends from different parts of the world, a level of confidence which I was lacking in cooking, my food photography skills have improved a lot (still I am struggling to get the best shot ..), I have become better in my day-to-day cooking and always trying different varieties of cuisine and experimenting them on my poor Husband and my sweet li’l cutie pie:).


I am really thankful to all of you, for all the support, love and care you all have shared with me. Thanks a lot for all your encouraging comments. And another happy news to share with all of you is that my little space will turn 1 within a week. I am all excited and looking forward for my blog’s birthday. I think, I am boring you all with my stories :-)

To start with I have made these yummy delicious Jalebis which I got from Manjula’s Kitchen. Instead of chick pea flour, I have added corn flour for crispiness.

Usually I will be making these jalebis with curd and leave it for 24 hours to ferment, but this is an instant method of making it within 1 hour by adding yeast instead of curd. Now this is being made regularly in my kitchen for all the occasions for parties, birthdays, for family get togethers and so on. 


This tastes little sour, sweet, crispy and crunchy. Make sure that after adding yeast, this should ferment only for 1 hour. Otherwise I have seen the jalebis not coming out as well as we would like to see.
Ingredients:
  1. All purpose flour / Maida- ½ cup
  2. Corn Flour- 1tbsp
  3. Yeast- ½ tsp
  4. Oil- 1 tsp
  5. Sugar- ½ tsp
  6. Water (luke warm water)- ¼ cup
  7. Oil- for deep frying
Sugar Syrup:
  1. Sugar- ½ cup
  2. Water- ¼ cup
  3. Cardamom Powder- 1tsp
  4. Yellow Food Colour / Saffron- a pinch
  5. Lemon Juice- 1tsp
Method:
  1. Dissolve the yeast in luke warm water and let it sit for 5 minutes till it raises.
  2. Mix the flour, corn flour, oil and sugar in a bowl. Add the yeast solution to the above dry ingredients and mix well without forming any lumps.
  3. The batter should not be too thick and not too thin. It should be in a pouring consistency.
  4. Let the batter sit in a warm place for about 1 hour to ferment.
  5. Mean while make the sugar syrup by boiling the sugar and water together till 1 thread consistency. Add the lemon juice, cardamom powder and food colour and keep it aside.
  6. Lemon juice is added to prevent crystallisation, so just add a few drops to the sugar syrup.
  7. Heat oil for deep frying
  8. Fill the jalebi batter in a piping bag / plastic cover / zip lock bag. For this plastic cover / zip lock bag after pouring the batter make a hole so that it can pass through.
  9. Press the batter in the hot oil, fry at a very low flame till golden brown in colour.
  10. When it is done remove from oil and drain excess oil. Immediately dip the jalebis in the warm sugar syrup for a few seconds and remove it in a plate.
  11. Serve hot / decorate it with chopped pistachios / Serve it along with rabdi.
Note:
  • After adding yeast the batter should ferment for only 1 hour. After 1 hour we have to mix well and pour into piping bag.
  • The oil for deep frying should not be too hot, it should be medium or else the jalebis will become flat they wont take the shape.
I am linking this to oh taste n see, my easy to cook recipes, yummy food and to anuz healthy kitchen


23 comments:

  1. Mouthwatering jalebis to mark the milestone..Delicious n yummy!!
    Congrats too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on ur milestone. jalebis r perfectly made, super yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Diwali and congrats on your milestone.Jalebis look perfect for the occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your achievement. Jalebis look simply mouthwatering and tempting.
    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow..Cute and lovely lovely jalebi...Happy diwali..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!!!!
    jalebi looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats Zareena for reaching this achievement, jalebis looks super tempting and cute..Happy Diwali wishes to u..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your 100th post and wishes for many more to come. Jalebis look superb.

    ReplyDelete
  9. congratulations on your 100th post!! i don't think you can call yourself a newbie anymore :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. congrats for the 100th post....the jalebi's look mouthwatering...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wish you and your family a very happy and prosperous Diwali.
    Heartiest congratulations for your 100th post.
    Jalebi looks perfect, yummy and tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Zareena! Congratulations on your 100th post! My mouth is watering after seeing these pics.

    I've shared Liebster Blog Award with you. Please accept this :)

    Liebster Blog Award

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats dear!!! jalebi luks adorable and yumm!
    keep rocking

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats for the 100th post! That's so tempting and yummy....

    http://treatntrick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. congrats dear that is a wonderful dish for a big milestone :) Many more such milestones to you :)
    cheers,
    Priya
    http://priyasnowserving.blogspot.com/search/label/Blog%20Anniversary%20Giveaways%20on%20going

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats dear...wishing you all success in blogging..
    A perfect treat to celeb d yummy moment..;)
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you so much for all you lovely comments.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on your 100th. What a precious milestone and what a delicious way to celebrate it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on your 100th post! First time to your blog and love it...these jalebi look perfect! Now following you..please check out my blog when you have a chance: Chocolate and Chillies

    ReplyDelete
  20. congratulations on your 100th pot dear..and wish you a very happy and prosperous diwali.jalebi loooks beautiful dear.color is too tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. hi zareena, happy diwali to you and family. congrats on your 100TH post done so far.. and i am happy to get to know you. hope our friendship remains. have a nice week

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...