Usually I like to eat pickles along with rice, breakfast and so on. My mom makes different varieties of pickles and I used to enjoy them always. So recently I started trying to make pickles in small amounts and got successful. This raw mango pickle holds a special place in my heart.
This mango pickle is an important ingredient in any Onam sadhya. In different parts of Kerala, this pickle is made in different varieties. As Onam is nearing, I thought this is the best time to prepare this yummy and spicy pickle. Just try this out…
- Raw Mangoes- 5- 6 nos
- Garlic- 1 Cup
- Curry Leaves- few
- Red Chillies- 5-6 nos
- Mustard Seeds- 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek Seeds- 1 tsp
- Water- ½ Cup
- Red Chilli powder- 5 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder- 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek powder- 1 tsp
- Asafoetida Powder- ¼ tsp
- Salt- as required
- Oil- ¼ Cup
- Vinegar- 2 tbsp
- Peel the skin of mangoes and chop the raw mangoes to small pieces (I used a food Processor). Add salt to the pieces, mix well and set it aside overnight.
- On the following day, heat oil in a kadai, splutter the mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- Add the red chillies, curry leaves and garlic. Saute till the raw smell goes.
- On low flame, add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida powder and fenugreek powder and mix for some time.
- Adjust salt and pour water, let it boil till it thickens. Add the mango pieces, mix till everything is well blended. In this stage add vinegar, mix and transfer to a neat glass jar and serve as you wish.