Egg puffs are my favorite tea time snacks. Not only mine but my family’s favorite snack too. These egg puffs are available in almost all the bakeries in India.
I love to prepare them at home, but as you all might know by now that I am a very lazy person and making puff pastry sheets at home was a dream for me and also the ready made pastry sheets were not easily available in the shops. But here in US almost all the shops have these sheets in there frozen section and so I grabbed one and tried these egg puffs, which came out perfectly baked.
|Ready to go in the oven...|
In these puffs I have added a spread of homemade schezwan sauce for a twist and it tasted amazing. You can also try it if you have schezwan sauce at home or omit that step. Any ways, this will taste yummy.
- Puff Pastry Sheets- 10 nos
- Eggs- 5 nos
- Onions( sliced)- 2 nos
- Tomato (sliced)- 1 no
- Kashmiri Chilli Powder- 1 tbsp
- Turmeric Powder- 1 tsp
- Pepper Powder- 1 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder- 1 tsp
- Salt- as required
- Tomato Ketchup- 1 tbsp
- Egg Wash- 1 egg
- Schezwan Sauce- 3- 4 tbsp (optional)
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C and arrange a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Boil the eggs, when cooled, deshell and cut into half.
- For the masala, heat oil in a pan, add the sliced onions. When they turn translucent, add tomatoes and mix well.
- In this add the red chilli powder, turmeric powder, pepper powder, garam masala powder and salt. Stir well till everything gets blended together. At this stage add tomato ketchup, mix and switch off the flame. Divide this into 10 equal parts.
- Take a puff pastry square, spread the schezwan sauce, spoon the prepared masala in the center of the sheet. Over that place the halved egg and fold all the corners to the center and press with your finger to seal.
- Brush with egg wash. Repeat the process for all the puff pastry squares. Place these puffs on the parchment paper and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until it turns golden in colour.
- Serve and enjoy hot egg puffs along with tomato ketchup and hot tea.