Friday, June 3, 2016

Fish Molee/ Meen Molee



Kerala cuisine is full of flavours and spices and so Kerala is called as the “Land of Spices”. Almost all the dishes are flavored either with grated coconut or with coconut milk as coconut is in abundance in Kerala. Sea food is very popular in Kerala. There are many different varieties of dishes made out of fish, among them karimeen pollichath and fish molee are some of the popular dishes.  




This fish molee, I have made some n number of times, but I am surprised that it never got posted in my blog. This fish molee which is my one of the best dishes,have never been in my blog. I am a bit lazy and whenever I make this dish, I will be like next time I will take a pic (as frequently I will be preparing this dish) and so it got delayed for so long.


This dish goes well with chapathis, appam, bread and so on. In this the fried fish pieces are slowly simmered in the flavorful coconut milk until done. The creamy and mild spicyness of this dish is good for kids.
One of my mom’s wonderful dish, which is my favorite and now daughter’s also. Just try this out and let me know...
Ingredients:
  1. Kingfish/ Any fleshy fish- 6- 7 slices (cleaned and cut into pieces)
  2. Onions( sliced)- 3nos
  3. Slited Green Chillies- 3 nos
  4. Tomatoes(sliced)- 1no
  5. Cardamom- 4nos
  6. Cloves- 3 nos
  7. Cinnamon- 1” stick
  8. Ginger (chopped)- 1 tbsp
  9. Garlic( chopped)- 1 tbsp
  10. Lemon Juice- 1 tbsp
  11. Turmeric Powder- 1 tsp
  12. Red Chilli Powder- 1 tsp
  13. Thin Coconut Milk- 1 Cup
  14. Thick Coconut Milk- 1 Cup
  15. Salt- as required
  16. Curry leaves- few
  17. Oil- 2 tbsp
  18. Mustard Seeds- 1 tsp
Method:

  1. Marinate the fish pieces using red chilli powder, turmeric powder, lemon juice and salt. Keep this for about 30 min. Shallow fry the marinated fish pieces till done not crispy and remove on a kitchen towel.
  2. Heat oil, splutter mustard seeds, curry leaves, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom.
  3. Add the sliced onions, when they turn translucent add the green chillies and ginger and garlic. Stir well.
  4. In this add the tomatoes and also add the thin coconut milk. Bring this to boil, add salt. Add the fried fish pieces. Stir in between gently till the gravy thickens.
  5. Add the thick coconut milk, switch off the flame after 5 min. Don’t let it boil or else it will curdle. Add more tomato slices, if desired. Serve hot this amazing delicacy along with appam/ steaming hot rice.


4 comments:

  1. oh yumm this looks delicious! I have heard of several versions of fish molee this one looks and sounds delicious and pretty simple to make as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This must have smelled awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3 Researches SHOW Why Coconut Oil Kills Fat.

    This means that you actually burn fat by eating Coconut Fats (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from large medical magazines are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fish molee is new to me.I am Andhra But I love dishes made with coconut milk and making it in a claypot will surely enhance the taste. thanks for the recipe. Check our restaurants Andhra Style Foods

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...