Elegant palmier cookies are one of my all time favorites treats. These are melt in mouth, buttery, flaky, layered cookies. This is a super easy dish which is prepared using puff pastry sheets and sugar. The cookies are also called as elephant ears, french hearts, french palmier cookies.
I first had this amazing cookies, when I went for a potluck. Among the desserts, I saw these delicious cookies and tasted one. I fell in love with the light, flaky, buttery layers. I googled and was shocked to see that with just two ingredients a luscious, delectable, appetising dessert is made. Ufff!!!! I don’t have words to describe these cookies.
During this Ramadhan fasting time, I thought of baking and this was the result. Everybody will love it.
Not only sugar, you can also experiment by adding cinnamon, dried fruits, candied ginger as a filling for the cookies. Try this out and let me know...
- Puff Pastry Sheets- 1 sheet
- Granulated Sugar- ¼ Cup
- Thaw the puff pastry sheets and roll out into even rectangle shape by placing the sheet on granulated sugar.
- Using a rolling pin roll the sugar into the rolled pastry sheets.
- Fold the left and right sides of the sheet to middle, sprinkle some sugar and roll lightly.
- Again fold from middle, so that it looks like a book. Press lightly and keep this refrigerated for about 30 minutes, so that the dough will be firm.
- Preheat the oven for about 400 degrees F. After chilling, slice the folded pastry sheet using a sharp knife roughly 1 inch wide.
- Grease a baking pan and transfer the sliced cookie pieces laying them cut side up. Sprinkle some more sugar on top. Make sure you place the cookies few inches apart as they will puff quite a lot.
- Bake for about 18- 20 minutes. Cool and serve. They will become crispier as they cool. Store in airtight containers.