Friday, January 7, 2011

Onions in tamarind gravy/ Vengaya Vathal Kozhamb

I ate this dish when we visited a friend’s place. Usually we end up eating dinner whenever we visit them. She is an excellent cook( though she won’t admit thatJ). There is perfection in taste, texture, flavors, etc. in the simple dishes that she makes. I am a big fan of her cooking. I love this curry because of its tanginess.
I have been trying to prepare this dish several times and always something or the other will go wrong. What all queries I have, she helps me out with patience. This time it came out perfect and I am dedicating this dish to my friend.
I had never tasted Tamil Brahmin cuisine before and now I have become a big fan of those preparations. I will soon be posting more recipes from her collection J



Ingredients:
  1. Small Onions/ shallots- 250gms
  2. Gingelly Oil- 1tbsp
  3. Mustard seeds- 1tsp
  4. Curry leaves- few
  5. Asafoetida- a pinch
  6. Chana Dal- 2tbsp
  7. Tamarind – lemon size
  8. Sambar powder- 2-3tbsp

Method:
  1. Soak tamarind in warm water and extract about 2cups of juice.
  2. Heat oil in a kadai and splutter mustard seeds and channa dal. Stir well.
  3. Add onions, curry leaves and asafoetida and mix well till the onions change color and it becomes a little soft.
  4. Pour the tamarind extract and add salt. Let it boil on medium heat till the onions are well cooked.
  5. At last, add the sambar powder and let it cook well. Add a little water if the gravy is too thick. Sambar powder is added as it contains extra spices.
  6. If you feel the tanginess is more you can add a little bit of jaggery.
  7. Serve hot along with rice.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious, I'm drooling at your beautiful photos!

    http://treatntrick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...