Friday, March 9, 2018

Oats Idli with Coconut chutney

Idli with coconut chutney is a staple breakfast at my place. Idlis and dosas were a part of my childhood. My mom used to grind the soaked urad dal and rice and let it ferment overnight for amazingly delicious steaming hot idlis and dosa for the next day breakfast. We loved this along with my mom's special coconut chutney or sambhar.
 Nowadays lots and lots of different varieties of idlis and dosas are made worldwide. One of them is made by using oats. This does not require fermentation and can be made instantly. Even on a busy day, just temper the ingredients and steam this to perfection. A deliciously protein-rich, nutritious breakfast is ready within half an hour.


In India, we used to buy the idli- dosa batter often as it was readily available in the market.After coming to the US, I started making regularly the idli batter at home. When I do not have a stock of the homemade idli batter, this instant oats idli is a standby. I have paired oats idli with my mom's special coconut chutney. Though many varieties of chutney recipes are available online, I prefer this coconut chutney.
This month's MFB challenge is to prepare any breakfast item and here is the new healthy recipe which is very nutritious and will be like by all.


I have been preparing oats idli for so long and this recipe is a fail-proof. If you are trying to include oats in your daily diet, then this is a perfect option to try. low in carbs and a healthy breakfast is made using oats and grated carrots. Oats are rich in minerals, proteins and vitamins do not compromise on taste. Try this highly nutritive dish and let me know.


Ingredients:
  1. Oats- 1 Cup
  2. Semolina- 1/2 Cup
  3. Grated Carrot- 1/2 Cup
  4. Grated Ginger- 2 tbsp
  5. Oil- 1 tbsp
  6. Mustard Seeds- 1 tsp
  7. Urad Dal- 1 tbsp
  8. Chana Dal- 1 tbsp
  9. Coriander Leaves- few (optional)
  10. Curd- 1 Cup
  11. water- 1/4 Cup
  12. Salt- as required
  13. Baking Soda- 1 Tsp

Method:
  1. Grind the oats to powder and keep this aside.
  2. Heat oil, splutter mustard seeds. Drop the urad dal, chana dal, grated carrots, grated ginger and coriander leaves.
  3. Roast for about 2 minutes on a low flame. Add the semolina and powdered oats. Fry for some time till it turns lightly golden in color. Switch off the flame.
  4. Drop these in a mixing bowl and when it cools down, add the curd, required amount of water and mix well till it resembles a batter consistency.
  5. Before pouring in the idli molds add the baking soda, mix and pour a spoonful of batter into each mold and steam for about 15- 20 minutes or till done. Enjoy the steaming hot idli breakfast.


Coconut Chutney
Ingredients:
  1. Grated Coconut- 1 Cup
  2. Ginger- 1 small piece
  3. Green Chillis- 2 nos
  4. Tamarind- 1/2 tsp/ a small piece
  5. Salt- as required
  6. Oil- 1 tbsp
  7. Mustard Seeds- 1 tsp
  8. Urad Dal- 1 tbsp
  9. Curry Leaves- few

Method:

  1. Grind the coconut, ginger, green chilies, tamarind and salt to a fine paste by adding little water.
  2. For tempering, heat oil, splutter mustard seeds. Add the urad dal and curry leaves. Switch off the flame and enjoy with the above-made idlis.






8 comments:

  1. I have some idli loving folks at home, and I am wondering why don't I make these for them, especially when there is no soaking or fermenting involved! Bookmarked...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the unfermented spongy idli's ... one of the best combos idli n coconut chutney....yum

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super simple and easy recipe!My son is a huge idly lover,bookmarking this one to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always buy the ready made idli packs , now adays I havent been able to get them here , so maybe I should try and make them from scratch, your recipe sounds quite easy, should try it soon. looks yumm

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always wanted to try oats idli but now that I have a reliable recipe from you...I will definitely try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the oats Idli.. my family is crazy over idli.. will make for them

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is in my to do list from a long time,I think of making this and end up with the regular one hehe...This looks superb with the addition of carrots :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look super soft and yum....I have never tried idli without urad dal...this looks tempting...will try this...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...