Monday, August 27, 2018

Kerala Banana Chips/ Ethakka Upperi



The floods that dampened Onam, the harvest festival of Kerala, didn't dampen the spirit of the people in Kerala for reprising the sense of humanity in a time of grief. Back in Kerala, everyone is trying to get back on their feet after the worst floods hit Kerala. It is heard that as thousands of people are displaced in the floods, many are celebrating Onam in relief camps. This year Onam will be a low key affair.


This year I have tried my hands on making these delicious gold coin chips which are made of raw Kerala Bananas. I think because of it's shape and color as a kid I used to call these gold coin chips. These chips are my all time favorite ones and would buy whenever I see them in the stores. But this time I wanted to make them at home and see how these turn out. Though lots of oil is required to deep fry them I didn't think twice. I bought the raw plantain from a nearby Kerala store, sliced using a mandoline slicer and fried them in enough oil until crisp and crunchy. To my surprise, these chips were not oily, when compared with the store bought ones. I was really happy with the outcome and you know what happens with a homemade, oil-free, delicious snacks???? It gets over within no time.... But I was super excited as they came out really well. Hope you like them...



Ingredients:

  1. Raw Kerala plantain- 6 
  2. Turmeric powder- 1 tbsp
  3. Salt- as required
  4. Oil- for deep frying

Method:

  1. Wash and peel the bananas. Wipe using a kitchen towel.
  2. Heat the oil in a deep bottomed pan. When it is hot enough, lower the flame. Take a plantain, slice using a mandoline slicer, into the hot oil. Make sure not to overcrowd them. Occasionally give it a nice stir and keep them from sticking together.
  3. When it is half done, sprinkle turmeric powder and salt in the oil. When the bubbling diminishes completely, gently toss them. When you hear crisp sounds, switch off the flame and drain on kitchen tissue. Store in airtight container and enjoy as needed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...