Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Simple and Easy South Indian Fish Curry/ Meen Kulamb



I first tasted this fish curry, when my dear friend made it for a potluck and instantly we all liked it. From then on,  I started making this fish curry by asking her for the recipe. When I made the first time, I forgot to note down, so the next time again I asked her for the recipe and this time I noted it and here I am sharing the recipe in my blog. I never made a fish curry other than the Kerala style. My daughter likes this fish curry a lot, as this is not at all spicy. A perfect kid- friendly dish. Of course in any dish we can adjust the spices accordingly.


This is a delicately flavored, finger- licking, delicious dish in a bowl which can be served in a party along with appam/ idiayppam. I am sure that this will be an instant hit. This is a simple and an easy dish with a combination of freshly roasted and ground spices and tangy gravy in which the cleaned fish pieces gets cooked till done. Here in my house, fish curry is everyone's favorite and this is a perfect one, which we all like to have anytime. Please try this recipe and let me know how it turned out.



Ingredients:

  1. Fish Slices - 15- 20 nos
  2. Oil- 2 tbsp
  3. Onions(roughly chopped)- 2 nos
  4. Tomatoes (chopped)- 1 no
  5. Garlic Cloves- 6-7 pieces
  6. Coriander Seeds- 1 tbsp
  7. Pepper Corns- 1/2 tbsp
  8. Cumin Seeds- 2 tsp
  9. Turmeric Powder- 1 tsp
  10. Red Chili Powder- 1 tbsp
  11. Mustard Seeds- 1/2 tbsp
  12. Fenugreek Seeds- 1 tsp
  13. Asafoetida Powder- 1/2 tsp
  14. Tamarind Extract- 1 tbsp

Method:

  1. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds, coriander seeds, pepper corns along with roughly chopped onions. Stir in between till it becomes translucent.
  2. Add the tomatoes and garlic. Stir till they get well blended with each other. After for about 5- 10 minutes, switch off the flame and let it cool.
  3. After the mixture cools down, grind to a paste. Meanwhile heat the remaining oil in a pan, splutter mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, curry leaf and asafoetida.
  4. Add the ground paste, salt, red chili powder and turmeric powder. Mix well. When the raw smell disappears add little amount of water, stir and allow the gravy to boil. Add the cleaned and washed fish pieces and cook on a low flame till done. Turn off heat and serve along with steaming hot rice.


2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...