Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Roasted Urad Dal (Black Gram) Laddoo / Sunnundalu - beware of calories...

Sunnundalu is a very traditional sweet from Andhra. We get to see these in almost all the special occasions. These are made with black gram, which is very nutritious and protein rich.



This is loved by all. This is ideal for kids as well as pregnant women because of the protein and iron content in them.

From my childhood this has been one of my favorite sweets. Whenever I go to my friends place, they used to give me this sweet since they know that I love them a lot (btw, my mom doesn’t know how to make these laddoos). Without thinking about the calories, I used to eat 2 or 3 laddoos one after the other. Most of the houses in Andhra will have a stock of these laddoos. 



It had been a while since I ate these. Recently I thought of making this for my little one, who is having a sweet tooth, but thinking about the calories, I was a bit hesitant to make it. If I make them I will never stop munching till it gets over. In fact, I will end up eating more than my cutie pie. So I got a solution for that. I made some of these laddoos with ghee and some with oil, however the fat content is there in both but to my satisfaction I made them in oil :)

Roasted and powdered urad dal and powdered sugar can be stored in an air tight container for about 1 to 2 months.  Whenever you want you can mix with melted ghee and make into laddoos.Here is the recipe of my favorite sweet. I hope you all will like this.


Ingredients:
  1. Urad Dal- 2cups
  2. Sugar- 1cup
  3. Ghee / Clarified butter- ½ cup
Method:
  1. Roast the urad dal in a skillet till it turns light brown in colour and leaves the raw smell.
  2. Keep the roasted urad dal aside and let it cool. Grind this to a fine smooth powder using a mixer or a food processor. Make sure that the powder is smooth and super fine. I sifted the powder twice.
  3. Grind the sugar and keep it aside.
  4. Mix the powdered sugar and powdered urad dal in a bowl. Add the melted ghee little by little till you get a consistency where you can shape them in the form of laddoo.
  5. Keep this in air tight containers. Stays fresh for long.



Sending this to Cook it Healthy an event hosted by Shoba shyam, and also to Kids Delight- Mini Bites hosted by Champa. 



22 comments:

  1. Tasty laddoos,healthy too leaving aside the ghee portion :):) Nice click.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amma makes these ladoo, remains me my childhood days,loved ur version...too gud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very delicious and tempting clicks!

    http://treatntrick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so delicious and healthy..

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks very delicious,authentic and extremely enjoyable!
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  6. The laddoos look so tempting..love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. First time here. Looks yummy. Happy to see you blog name as I too kept 'My Kitchen Experiments'. :-)

    Cheers,
    Uma
    http://umaskitchenexperiments.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fat or no fat, I'm totally loving the sound of this Zari. I wouldn't mind trying the ghee versions too cos it sounds absolutely heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting recipe. Laddoos looks yummy, lovely, perfect and tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delicious looking laddoo, fabulous & very inviting :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a huge laddoo fan.. I am surely gonna try making this one :D Yours looks so mouth-watering

    ReplyDelete
  12. You gave made awesome laddoos dear! Shared a great recipe with us, I am surely going to try this!
    http://cosmopolitancurrymania.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will overlook the ghee content in these yummy ladoos and fill my tummy with these... Looks very tempting. Lovely clicks...
    Glad to follow you..

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  14. Healthy, tasty and tempting ladoo..just gonna grab few from the click!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is new to me..looks so yummy dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow the Sunnundalu
    look as yummy as the clicks. The storage tips are very helpful. Now I will be able to have a stock of my favorite sweet for long.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...