Sunnundalu is a very traditional sweet from Andhra. We get to see these in almost all the special occasions. These are made with black gram, which is very nutritious and protein rich.
This is loved by all. This is ideal for kids as well as pregnant women because of the protein and iron content in them.
From my childhood this has been one of my favorite sweets. Whenever I go to my friends place, they used to give me this sweet since they know that I love them a lot (btw, my mom doesn’t know how to make these laddoos). Without thinking about the calories, I used to eat 2 or 3 laddoos one after the other. Most of the houses in Andhra will have a stock of these laddoos.
It had been a while since I ate these. Recently I thought of making this for my little one, who is having a sweet tooth, but thinking about the calories, I was a bit hesitant to make it. If I make them I will never stop munching till it gets over. In fact, I will end up eating more than my cutie pie. So I got a solution for that. I made some of these laddoos with ghee and some with oil, however the fat content is there in both but to my satisfaction I made them in oil :)
Roasted and powdered urad dal and powdered sugar can be stored in an air tight container for about 1 to 2 months. Whenever you want you can mix with melted ghee and make into laddoos.Here is the recipe of my favorite sweet. I hope you all will like this.
- Urad Dal- 2cups
- Sugar- 1cup
- Ghee / Clarified butter- ½ cup
- Roast the urad dal in a skillet till it turns light brown in colour and leaves the raw smell.
- Keep the roasted urad dal aside and let it cool. Grind this to a fine smooth powder using a mixer or a food processor. Make sure that the powder is smooth and super fine. I sifted the powder twice.
- Grind the sugar and keep it aside.
- Mix the powdered sugar and powdered urad dal in a bowl. Add the melted ghee little by little till you get a consistency where you can shape them in the form of laddoo.
- Keep this in air tight containers. Stays fresh for long.
Sending this to Cook it Healthy an event hosted by Shoba shyam, and also to Kids Delight- Mini Bites hosted by Champa.