After coming to US, I started visiting the library for my little one as there are lots of activities for them. Usually I will be behind him in the library. He enjoys going there as there are other kids of his age and as he is a big hide and seek player, he likes to hide behind the bookshelves.
One such visit, I took a glance on the cooking books and there were huge varieties of cook books. I got really confused as which one to check. Though we get everything from net, but cooking from a cookbook is a different experience for me. While I was checking some books, this book “Coffee Cakes”, caught my attention and I loved different varieties of cakes baked in this book which looked easy and new to me. So I grabbed it.
There are many collections of cake recipes in the book, but I tried to make this “Danish Chocolate streusel” as it looks unique and also it is a bread as well as a cake. The next thing I did was to collect all the ingredients for the streusel and baked this to a perfect bread. The recipe is really fantastic. With the layers of the chocolate, the bread tastes more like a danish pastry. The texture is so soft and the chocolate streusel inside the bread is pure bliss. Just a bite and you will love the buttery chocolaty flavour.
|The dough with alternating slices|
Try this out and let me know...
- All Purpose Flour- 3 Cups
- Yeast- 1 ½ tsp
- Sugar- 1 tbsp
- Salt- as required
- Warm water- ¼ Cup
- Butter- 1 stick or ½ Cup
- Sugar- ¼ Cup
- Eggs- 2 nos
- Vanilla extract- 1 tsp
- Warm Milk- ½ Cup
- Sugar- ⅓ Cup
- Cocoa Powder- 2 tbsp
- Cold Butter- 2 tbsp
- Ground Cinnamon- 1 tbsp
- Egg- 1 no ( egg wash)
- Chopped Nuts- 1 tbsp
- Sprinkle the yeast in warm water and let it rest for about 5 minutes. In this add the sugar and salt. Stir to dissolve and wait till it becomes foamy.
- In a bowl, beat the sugar along with butter. Till light and fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla extract and 1 Cup of flour. Beat well using electric blender.
- Gradually add the milk alternating with flour along with the yeast dissolved water. If the dough is too sticky add some flour to make a soft dough.
- Transfer to a floured surface and knead until smooth i.e upto 8 minutes.
- Place this in a greased bowl, covered with a cling film until double in size, about 1- 2 hours.
- Meanwhile for the chocolate streusel, mix the sugar, flour, butter, cocoa powder and cinnamon together using fingers till crumbly.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Punch the raised dough and knead lightly until smooth. If you feel the dough is too big, cut it into half.
- Roll one half into a even rectangle over a floured surface using a rolling pin. Spread with half of the chocolate streusel and roll up and place the seam side down on a greased baking pan.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and filling, placing that on a separate baking pan.
- Using a knife, snip each loaf at ¾ inch intervals. Starting at one end, pull the alternate cut slice on to the other side.
- Brush each loaves with egg wash and sprinkle the powdered nuts on top.
- Bake the loaves for about 30 - 35 minutes or until golden brown. When done place the loaves on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut into ¾ thick slices and serve with coffee or tea.