Wishing all my friends a very Happy Onam !!!
This is a traditional dessert of Kerala. Payasam is an integral part of onam sadhya. Be it palada pradhaman/ parippu pradhaman/ paal payasam, all of the payasams are served along with sadhya. Hope you all had a nice and happy onam.
- Aval/ Rice Flakes- 1 cup
- Ghee- 2 tbsp
- Jaggery- ¼ Cup
- Coconut milk (thick milk)- ½ Cup
- Coconut Milk (thin milk)- 2 Cups
- Cardamom Powder- 1tsp
- Cumin Powder- 1tsp
- Sliced Coconut Pieces- 2 tbsp
- Cashews- few
- Melt the jaggery with little water over low heat and strain the impurities when it becomes cool. Meanwhile roast the cardamom powder and cumin powder and keep this aside.
- Take the first and second milk from the coconut using little water and keep it aside.
- Heat a vessel, add ghee and fry the rice flakes till the raw smell disappears.
- Add the jaggery, thin coconut milk and stir well till the payasam thickens. In this add the roasted cardamom powder and cumin powder.
- At last add the thick coconut milk and stir well. Do not boil. Remove from flame.
- Fry the coconut pieces and cashews in ghee and add this to the payasam. Serve and enjoy