Onam is around the corner and I can see onam sadhya recipes are flooding in all the blogs. I thought this is the perfect recipe which I can post during this onam time. Pickle is one of the main side dish among onam sadhya.
When the store bought pickle got over,I had some 10- 15 lemons which my friend sent me from her home town. In my previous post, I have a lemon pickle recipe which I usually make but I wanted something new and so I searched through the blogs and got this yummy recipe. From the original recipe I have made some changes by adding green chillies and by increasing the quantity of ingredients.
Adapted from Pranis Kitchen
- Lime- 10- 12 nos
- Garlic Pods- a hand ful
- Curry Leaves- few
- Red Chillies- 4 nos
- Asafoetida- ½ tsp
- Green Chillies- 3 nos
- Red Chilli Powder- 5- 6 tbsps (I used kashmiri chilli powder)
- Sesame Oil- ¼ Cup
- Mustard Seeds- 2 tbsp
- Salt- as required
- Vinegar- 2 tbsp
- Water- required to cook the lime
- Boil water and cook the lime in the boiling water till it becomes soft and tender. When it becomes cool take the lime pieces separately and wipe well with a cloth.
- Cut the lime into 4 pieces and keep the pieces in an airtight container for 4-5 days. In this add salt as required. Shake the bottle everyday.
- Heat oil in a kadai and splutter mustard seeds. Add curry leaves, red chillies and green chillies and stir well.
- Add the garlic pods and saute well. When it becomes light brown colour switch off the flame.
- Add the red chilli powder, asafoetida and salt. Mix well.
- When it cools, add the soaked lime pieces, mix and meanwhile adjust salt accordingly.
- Heat vinegar and let it cool completely.
- When we are about to transfer the pickle in a clean glass bottle add vinegar and mix well.
- Transfer this in a glass bottle and store it air tight. Make sure that the oil floats above the pickle so that it will keep fresh for many days without getting spoiled.