After my husband is gone to office, I was just relaxing one day and my cousin called and told that she will be visiting me. I was thinking of eating the leftover food for lunch and as she called me, I quickly thought of making something which is less time consuming. I was going through the veggies in the refrigerator, I got carrots and beans and I decided to make this easy peasy veg pulao as this doesn't require a side dish. :)
There are different methods to make a pulao but this is my version of making this easy and simple dish. In this pulao, we can also add green peas, potatoes, capsicum and so on. I added whole spices as when the rice gets cooked the flavors will be well blended. With very little effort, we can make a delicious pulao. I am comfortable with cooking rice in pressure cooker, my mom will be doing it separately but I cannot. For making biryani, I prepare rice in a pressure cooker. It comes out fluffy and non sticky.
- Basmati Rice- 2 Cups
- Water- 2 ½ Cups
- Carrots- 3 nos
- Beans- a bunch
- Cloves- 4-5 nos
- Cinnamon- 1 stick
- Cardamom- 4 nos
- Ghee- 1 tbsp
- Oil- 1 tbsp
- Onions- 1 no
- Cashew- few
- Fry the sliced onions and cashew nuts separately till golden brown and keep it aside.
- In a pressure cooker add ghee and oil. When hot add the cloves, cinnamon and cardamom.
- Meanwhile cut the carrots and beans into long strips and keep it aside.
- Add the carrots and beans in the above and stir for a minute. In this add the washed and drained basmati rice, water and salt. Mix and close the cooker.
- After 3 whistles switch off the flame. When cooker gets cooled open and transfer the rice in a serving bowl.
- Sprinkle the fried onions and cashews over the pulao and enjoy a scrumptious meal.