Biryani is generally made on special occasions, so I thought of making a biryani for New Year. This was made by my husband’s aunt and I prepared it with a bit of improvisation. Biryani is garnished with fried onions, cashews and raisins and served with raita.
- Basmathi rice-4cups
- Onions (sliced)- 5nos
- Green chillies- 3nos
- Ginger- 2tbsp
- Garlic- 2tbsp
- Tomatoes- 2nos
- Curd- ½ cup
- Coriander leaves- handful
- Garam masala- 1tbsp
- Turmeric powder- 1tsp
- Grind green chillies, ginger and garlic coarsely.
- Wash and drain rice. Cook the rice and keep it aside.
- Fry onions in a pressure cooker and when it turns golden brown in colour, add the above ground mixture. Mix well.
- Now take out some fried onion mix in a bowl and to add later.
- Add chopped tomatos, curd and chopped coriander leaves and stir well till everything blends.
- Add the washed chicken pieces, garam masala, turmeric powder and salt. Pressure cook till the chicken is cooked.
- When the chicken is cooked, add the fried onion mix and let it cook till the water is drained well. Mix in between.
- Now layer the rice and chicken masala. At the end of layering, sprinkle the fried onions and cover the entirevessel with a wet cloth.
- Heat a tawa and place this large vessel on the tawa and cook on low heat for 5-10 minutes as the rice and masala mixes well.
- Now the biryani is ready to be served.