Who doesn’t like to eat hot steaming vadas on cold wintery evenings? So in a cold evening I made these vadas as a snack, so that when my husband comes back from office enjoys eating this with a hot green tea. I learnt this snack recipe from my mom who is an expert in parippu vada.
These can be made in different varieties and methods. The vadas which we get in Kerala hotels are much bigger and they taste yummy. You can also deep fry these vadas in coconut oil if you would like to enjoy the authentic Kerala taste.
- Chana dal / Kadala Parippu- 1cup
- Dry red chillies- 2-3nos
- Ginger- 1tbsp
- Onions- 1no
- Curry leaves- few
- Salt- as per taste
- Oil- for deep frying
- Soak the chana dal nearly about 3-4hours. Drain well so that there is no water left.
- Grind chana dal and red chillies coarsely. Do not add water.
- Take this ground mixture in a bowl and add chopped onions, ginger curry leaves and salt and mix well.
- Wet your palms and take small amount of dal mixture and make a ball. Flatten this ball to a round shape.
- Heat oil in wok for deep frying. When it is hot, slide the vada into the oil and fry on both sides to a golden brown colour. Remove from oil and drain it on kitchen towel or tissue paper.
I am sending this dish to Kerala Kitchen, a monthly event hosted by Magpie and Ria are hosting.