Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Tomato Dal/Tomato Pappu

Today in the morning I just went into my garden (huh! Its still under debate whether such a small area can be called a gardenJ) and saw ripe tomatoes waiting to be plucked. So with these tomatoes I thought of making my favorite tomato dal. And yes, I was too excited about using my home-grown ingredient in a dish.
Tomato dal is an effortless and appetizing main course dish. This is a very common and basic preparation in Andhra cuisine. The combination of tomatoes and dal gives a wonderful flavor to the dish. When you are in a dilemma about making curries, this is an easy dish to fall back. This dish, with a dollop of ghee in hot rice along with avakkai pickle makes a lip smacking combination.


Ingredients:
  1. Toor dal- 1cup
  2. Tomatoes- 2nos
  3. Onion- 1no
  4. Green Chilies- 2nos
  5. Turmeric powder- 2tsp
  6. Red chilly powder- 1tsp
  7. Oil- 1tbsp
  8. Mustard seeds- 1tsp
  9. Curry leaves- few
  10. Salt- as per taste

Method:
  1. Pressure cook the dal, tomatoes, onion and green chilies until the dal turns soft and mash slightly.
  2. Heat oil in a pan and splutter mustard seeds and curry leaves. Remove from flame then add turmeric and red chilly powder.
  3. Pour this to the dal mixture and add salt and stir well .
  4. This can be served with rice and roti.

3 comments:

  1. I came across your site from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this tomato widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about tomatoes,Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...